Monday, March 20, 2006

Unhappy people...

Hmm.. Long time no post... Just had a busy weekend with a good night on Friday playing poker, seeing my parents on Saturday day, out Saturday night then a quiet day yesterday watching the footy..

But my first post is dedicated to a single individual. That person being the fat albino American who was on the 1920 train from Reading to Paddington on Friday evening. It's dedicated to him, as I feel that the life he has to lead must be pretty awful so he needs all the help he can get.

I hopped on the train at Reading to head over to Ealing to play poker at a friend's place, and took a seat in one of those 6 seater bits. I was having a pretty uneventful journey, listening to the Chris Moyles podcast and generally keeping myself to myself. Oh, other than my big Guinness St Patrick's day hat. Anyway, some time into the journey, we stop at Southall, and 3 people get on the train - 2 blokes and a girl. One of the guys is carrying a guitar case and the other a guitar. They sit down on the set of 6 seats with me and now and again the guy with the guitar strums it a little, hums along a bit.

After a couple of minutes, he kicks into a song and quite simply, it was amazing. His guitar playing was pretty basic, but perfectly suited, and his singing was just brilliant. It was a combination of poppy chords, with this incredibly Indian vocal line over the top of it. He played through this song, which I was listening to intently (while pretending to still be listening to my MP3 player) and the other guy accompanied him on percussion, with some handclaps and leading the rythmn by drumming gently on the train seats with his hands. And it was just superb.

Once they'd finished that song, the first guy handed the guitar to the other bloke, who started playing this incredibly Spanish-style guitar picking, but with an Indian flavour. It was stunning stuff. The girl and bloke 1 were having a chat, and it appears that bloke 1 was a DJ on a radio station and had maybe come up to pick up bloke 2, who was the artist that'd be appearing on his radio show that night.

It was one of those moments when I just felt so glad to be alive - some random people get on the train, play some incredibly music, and then I get off to go out for a nice night.

Except for one thing.

At the station after Southall, the fat American albino (remember him?) jumps up, grabs his bags and starts storming down the carriage, shouting at the top of his voice "IT'S NOT A FUCKING CABARET, OK!!!!" and goes to a different carriage.

I find it incredibly sad that this miserable, pathetic man can't take pleasure in a random event that ocurred, that must have enhanced his day in some manner. What a terrible shame that his life is so miserable he can't take joy in such an event.

Well, all I can really say is that I hope one day he opens his mind to new ideas, how great things can happen in uexpected circumstances and how they're the kind of things people should savour.

Oh, and I lost at poker. And missed the train home, but that was my own fault - I was buying a bottle of water from a vending machine and the train arrived and fucked off without me noticing. Arse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home