Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Local Boozers


I'm moving house next week and am moving out of the town I've lived in for the last 6 or 7 years, being Wokingham. I'm moving to Reading, as it's where I spend most of my going out time and it well handy for getting in and out of London. I'm going to save some money in less taxis and train fares, but basically it's just a good move.

But I'm going to miss something I never thought I'd miss. The Molly Millar. It's the giant "fun" pub next to me, that previously went under the legendary name of "Big Hand Mo's Good Time Emporium". People get sniffy about the Molly, saying it's full of chavs, it's violent, the staff are rude, the food is rubbish and so on. And you know what, that's pretty much an accurate picture I reckon. However, it doesn't change the fact that if you want a boozer you can go and watch the footie in, that's got a good atmosphere and a reasonable pint, you can't go wrong. I don't want to watch the footie in a wine bar - I want to watch it in a pub. And that's what the Molly Millar is - a good, old fashioned pub. People get drunk, they occasionally vomit, and sometimes, as the picture above nearly shows, the doors on the toilets fall off. So fucking what? It's fun, the barman always knows what you're drinking and what your team is, and that's good enough for me.

Oh, and in case it's not too legible - the writing above was on the wall above the toilet roll dispenser (which had fallen off) and says "Any chance of fixing the fucking doors? This place is a shit hole.".

Classic stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home